Where I am from.



I am from old wood stoves, from coke a cola and fresh boiled p-nuts.

I am from the old home place out in the country where our family used to gather every Easter.

I am from corn fields,  The peanut plants we loved to pick and boil.

I am from family reunions at Lax and curly headed Harper's, From Elisha and Dessie Harper

I am from people that may always roam near and far but always come home to their family and hour long calls and it didn't matter that long distance wasn't free.

 I am from going to cut a switch for my whipping and if it breaks you get a it twice as bad. ( at least they threatened to.) From kick ball in the road and spin the bottle in the back seat of an old car.

I am from Lax church where many generations of our family is buried We may not all attend church there but that's where our roots are.

I am from Ocilla Ga, Irwin county hospital where I was born and 28 years later my own beautiful daughter was born, Long legs and thick wiry my son got from my side of the family,  Alene Harper Leverett and her home made divinity that won't fluff when its cloudy and turnip greens.

From Charles Harper who once ran for mayor, from Bill and Vernon Harper who once were in the paper for God knows what. From uncle Tal Harper and his ever encompassing love that I can still feel. Summers spent with my Aunt Alicia in Ocilla surrounded by cousins never a moment to be lonely. Feeding the goat at uncle Rent Harper's. Riding a motorcycle with my cousin Denise. My cousin Stacey making me cry by telling me he was going to jump off the barn and kill himself when I spent the summer in NC. Riding on the back of a truck and jumping off and running to jump back on.

I am from photo albums full of old family photos, wooden squares with antique photos burnt on them and an old footlocker passed down from my grandpa to my mama to me.

That's where I am from.

No comments:

Post a Comment